Date:      Mon, 9 Jul 2001 17:39:18 -0000
From:      "Dusan Hanes" <dusanhanes@yahoo.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Simultaneous pppd dialin/dialout problem

Hello, hackers :-)
I'm having a problem to set up my FreeBSD box with a single modem as a
dialin/dialout ppp server. I'm using pppd. Both dialin and dialout work just
fine if I run any of them one at a time. But I'd like to have the dialin
pppd process running and listening for incoming calls at /dev/ttyd0 all the
time. The man page for sio device driver says that cuaa0 device file shall
enable callouts with another process listening at ttyd0 and waiting for
calls from outside - it says the process connecting to cuaa0 shall put the
process listening at ttyd0 to "deeper sleep" and then be able to use the
line. However, all my attempts to start pppd dialout session through
/dev/cuaa0, or cu -l /dev/cuaa0 calls with pppd dialin process running and
listening at ttyd0 at the same time have failed - I'm getting the error
message "Failed to open device /dev/cuaa0: Device busy".
Does someone have an idea why my pppd listening at ttyd0 blocks callouts
through cuaa0?
Thanks for any hints :-)

Dusan Hanes