Date:      Sat, 21 Jul 2007 04:27:51 +0200
From:      Nikola Lecic <nlecic@EUnet.yu>
To:        Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@realss.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mouse wheel doesn't work

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 09:33:53 +0800
Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@realss.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2007-07-21 at 01:42 +0200, Nikola Lecic wrote:
> > I think that then middle (wheel) click doesn't work; if it does,
> > then
>=20
> The middle click does work! However there is no middle key on thinkpad
> track-point, thus it means at least some signal cannot be produced by
> track-point is delivered to FreeBSD.

In Ubuntu? Please don't forget that Linux and FreeBSD use the same
Xorg, there is nothing Linux-specific about it. What can be the
difference, however, is that Linux maybe uses tpctl -- please check if
it is so.

But even so, maybe some functionality (of the trackpoint for example)
must be sacrified in order to get the external wheel working.
=20
> > just copy Ubuntu xorg.conf entry or check if trackpoint and external
> > ps/2 mouse use different /dev.
>=20
> Unfortunately it seems in dmesg only psm0 is discovered. dmesg
> attached

dmesg is not here :)

> > Please read this page:
> >=20
> >   http://salisburys.net/PetersNotes-TW.html
> >   (choose "External mouse wheels and wheel emulation...")
>=20
> Very smart:)

Well, have you tried that? (And I fotgot to ask: does wheel-click in
FreeBSD produce an X event?)

> > and consider experimenting with this:
> >=20
> >   http://tpctl.sourceforge.net
> >  =20
> > It doesn't seem ported, but they claim it runs on *BSD. Read the man
> > page, --setup-pointing-device* options could maybe solve the
> > problem.
>=20
> compile failed with a lot of error messages.

Ah, welcome to the realm of truth! A part of the world (very bad for
them) is gnu/linux-centic. I can't test it at the moment since
sourceforge is currently down, but please note two things:

  (a) configure script often can't find where libraries are installed;
      please take a look at './configure --help' and provide the
      correct paths where necessary;

  (b) don't forget that make (BSD make) is not fully compatible with the
      syntax of GNU Makefiles, so in that case you have to explicitly
      run 'gmake' when compiling something out of ports.

(If you can't compile it, start a thread about it, people will jump in
to help. Maybe you might even consider porting that peace of software to
FreeBSD :))

> I'll try the good old PS2.EXE later on DOS.

As you see, tpctl provides the same functionality as PS2.EXE and is
very feature-rich (much more beyond wheel functionality). I checked,
your Thinkpad model is listed as fully supported.

Nikola Le=C4=8Di=C4=87