Date:      Wed, 18 Jun 2003 14:15:53 +0200
From:      bsd@perimeter.co.za
To:        "Doron Shmaryahu" <doron@home.crc.co.za>
Cc:        'FreeBSD Question List' <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: natd[330]: failed to write packet back (Permission denied)

Doron Shmaryahu writes:

> Hi,
>
> This happens when natd cant send a packet back to a host. Nothing really to
> worry about. If it is happening all the time then start worrying. Could you
> give a display of your ipfw ruleset ??

Thanks for replying Doron.

Could it be that natd returns the packet to ipfw, and the ruleset has a
"deny" further down?  Since the advent of Bugbear-B thre has been a lot of
incoming netbious stuff (which I block, but only after natd has had a go at
the packet).  Perhaps this is the cause?

Anyway, this particular server's ruleset has grown "organically" over about
2 years, so it is rather a mess.  I think I need to give it a spring clean,
remove the crud, and see how it behaves.  I'll come back if I'm still having
this problem after that.

Thanks again,
Regards,
Patrick.