Date:      Fri, 01 May 1998 13:56:59 -0600
From:      "JOHN UHLER" <JOHN@issnet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Network Problem

Hi,

I have installed 2.2.6 and am having a tough time figuring out thsi problem, any help would be appreciated.

I have an Intel Pro 10/100 card and am using multiple subnets on my network.  From any other box I can ping the UNIX server usually in less than 1 MS.  From the UNIX box I can ping anyone on it's segment in less than 1 MS.  For some strange reason when I ping outside of the subnet response time is extreemly slow but only from the UNIX box from everywhere else it's just fine.  Also I've noticed that netstat -r is really slow to respond and so is telnetting to the server and it takes a long time to startup the cron, sendmail, and inetd daemons.

I've been reading through the mail lists and manuals and haven't seen much.  I've checked for IRQ conflicts, turned TCP Extensions ON & OFF, and checked all of my network config files.  This machine is not setup as a router and is just using the default route to get out.

Any ideas would be appreciated.  Please CC them to me directly as I am not a member of the list.

THANKS.
John Uhler