Date:      Fri, 7 Dec 2001 07:24:04 -0700
From:      "Rick Moore" <lrmoore@speakeasy.net>
To:        "Melik Bessaha" <seek3r@neurotic.dyndns.org>, "freebsd-java" <freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: DBMS and BSD

MySQL here, too.  Even without a contract, the support is amazing.  On later
versions of FreeBSD it performs extremely reliably.  Performance is
semi-subjective, but overall I believe it is one of the fastest databases
around, including compared to Oracle.  Lastly, the size of the index / data
files is the smallest I've seen of any database.

On the down side, MySQL gets dinged because it doesn't support some advanced
features like subselects, stored procedures, triggers, and foreign keys.
It's my understanding that support for transactions and fine granularity (ie
non-table level) locking require third party products.  Generally most of
these missing features are easily worked around.

Nevertheless, if MySQL meets your requirements I'd highly recommend it.
I've done the Oracle and Postgres things and wasn't happy with either.

Rick