Date:      Wed, 20 Mar 2002 13:02:46 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
To:        Jeff Roberson <jroberson@chesapeake.net>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Getting rid of maxsockets.

* Jeff Roberson <jroberson@chesapeake.net> [020320 12:29] wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>

> > That depends on what this implies. :)
> >
> > Does it mean that when giving M_NOWAIT there's a chance it may fail
> > more often than the old zone allocator?  Meaning does M_NOWAIT mean
> > "only allocate from cache" or do you do close to the same thing that
> > the zone allocator does except in a more flexible manner?
> >
> > Sorry if the question is niave, I'm not extremely familiar with the
> > previous and current code.
> >

> Currently it means, if I can't get KVA or a page to back it, return NULL.
> It just stops operations that would REALLY block.  The old code reserved
> the KVA up front and just found a page at interrupt time.

Bottom line, will the semantics change?

What it sounds like is that if things aren't "just right" (which may
be the majority of times) we may fail earlier than the old code would,
is this true?

Basically, what changes semantically because of your change?

--
-Alfred Perlstein [alfred@freebsd.org]
Tax deductible donations for FreeBSD: http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/