Date:      Tue, 9 May 95 10:57:06 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw (Brian Tao)
Cc:        nc@ai.net, Arjan.deVet@nl.cis.philips.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, Guido.VanRooij@nl.cis.philips.com
Subject:   Re: Apache + FreeBSD 2.0 benchmark results (fwd)

>     Yes.  So are the Apache, WN and pre-1.4 NCSA servers.  I needed a
> name for servers which forked off a new process for each incoming
> request, and just "forking server" was too easily confused with
> "pre-forking server", so I called them "demand forking".  Dunno if
> that's the correct term or not, but I'm sticking with it.  ;-)

The correct term for "pre-forking" is "spawn-ahead".

Actually, a lot of UNIX kernels keep process templates around, which
are most of the generic process information but none of the specific
so as to optimize forking benchmarks (hint, hint).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.