Date:      Sat, 10 Apr 1999 09:38:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>
To:        Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATTENTION PLEASE: g77 in base system.

On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, Archie Cobbs wrote:

> Jordan K. Hubbard writes:
> > > Yeah, I'm serious, I would really like gcj+libgcj, to get java stuff
> > > compiled (non portably) into binaries on FreeBSD.
> >
> > 1. I agree in principle.
> >
> > 2. I'd sort of like to see a second release of this, at least, before
> >    we start talking seriously of bringing it into -current.  I predict
> >    a rapidly changing Doppler on this target.
>
> gcj is still pretty wet behind the ears at this point. So it seems
> one approach would be to have it in there but by default not
> compiled/included (the sources are already part of egcs and so in
> the tree as I understand it). Then when/if it becomes more stable
> and loved by the world we can flip that switch to default to on.
>
> Additionally, the "libgjc" component that was just released should
> be made into a port for now (this is the runtime that goes with
> the gcj Java compiler).
>
> Longer term, I think there is enough interest in it that this combo
> will eventually become the most popular freeware runtime for Java.

I agree. A Java compiler in the base system would be Very Nice, especially
one that compiles to NATIVE code so we can have Java without all the
overhead. Sure, I vote on importing it, and maybe even enabling it by
default :)

> -Archie

 Brian Feldman                _ __ ___ ____  ___ ___ ___
 green@unixhelp.org                _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \
     FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!      _ __ | _ \__ \ |) |
         http://www.freebsd.org           _ |___/___/___/