Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 2000 22:57:24 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        "Dan O'Connor" <dan@mostgraveconcern.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 'make buildkernel' revisited (uh oh!)

Dan O'Connor wrote:

> Without attempting to spawn another mega-discussion, I have a (hopefully)
> easy question:
>
> First, it appears that the concensus of the last discussion was that the
> *normal* kernel build method (config/make depend/make...) can be used with
> much success, unless you cross a source boundary which breaks it (and which
> should be indicated in /usr/src/UPDATING, as in the 20000706 and 20000501
> entries). In such instances the 'make buildkernel installkernel' method must
> be used.
>
> In the procedures below (these are simplified outlines, and not all steps
> are shown...), Proc 1 is the 3.x-4.x upgrade and Proc 2 is the *normal* make
> world procedure.

I have REAL problems with installing a world before you find out if
you can build a kernel. If you have installed the world and the kernel
fails, you have a kernel and a world that are out of step. What I
called the Uzi'ed foot syndrome :). So, my normal build is procedure
3, sort of. I have separate makes to do the buildkernel and
installkernel. When I finish the buildkernel, I have something that
can be installed and then I let the fun begin. Things can go wrong but
you cut the odds in two.

Like your dual homed article. It was the first set of ipfw rules that
worked on my system.

Kent

> My question is: When using buildkernel in a make world, should the kernel be
> built before installworld (Proc 3) or can buildkernel be done *after*
> installworld (Proc 4)?
>
> Procedure 1:  Outline of 3.x - 4.x upgrade:
>     make buildworld
>     make install in cd /usr/src/sys/modules
>     make install in cd /usr/src/sbin/mknod
>     make buildkernel installkernel KERNEL=YOURKERNEL
>     reboot to single user mode
>     make installworld
>     merge /etc
>     reboot
>
> Procedure 2:  Outline of *normal* make world:
>     make buildworld
>     drop to single user mode
>     make installworld
>     merge /etc
>     /usr/sbin/config YOURKERNEL
>     make depend && make && make install
>     reboot
>
> Procedure 3:  Outline of buildkernel *before* installworld:
>     make buildworld
>     make buildkernel installkernel KERNEL=YOURKERNEL
>     drop to single user mode
>     make installworld
>     merge /etc
>     reboot
>
> Procedure 4:  Outline of buildkernel *after* installworld:
>     make buildworld
>     drop to single user mode
>     make installworld
>     merge /etc
>     make buildkernel installkernel KERNEL=YOURKERNEL
>     reboot
>
> Any clarification is welcome!
>
> TIA,
>
> --Dan
>
> --
> Dan O'Connor
> On Matters of Most Grave Concern
>     http://www.mostgraveconcern.com
> FreeBSD Cheat Sheets
>     http://www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd/

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kbstew99@hotmail.com

Bomber dropping fire retardant in front of Hanford Wild fire.
http://kstewart.urx.com/kstewart/bomber.jpg