Date:      Sat, 31 Jul 2010 10:19:20 -0600
From:      William Vining <wfvining@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Unable to kldload linux

Hi,

I have just upgraded my system to 8.1-RELEASE

$ uname -a
FreeBSD makalu.abqhomenet 8.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE #10: Thu Jul
29 08:12:40 MDT 2010
root@makalu.abqhomenet:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/FRAGMENT  amd64

only to find that I cannot load linux.ko

# kldload linux
kldload: can't load linux: Exec format error

I tried compiling it into my kernel and recieved a message that
COMPAT_LINUX was not a valid option.

Has anybody got any advice/knowledge about this 'exec format error',
I've tried recompiling the kernel without success (in loading the
module), and I've even compiled the module on its own and was still
unable to load it.

# kldload /sys/modules/linux/linux.ko
kldload: can't load linux: Exec format error

I get the same error with the linprocfs and linsysfs modules.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Will