Date:      Sat, 29 Nov 1997 15:44:18 -0800 (PST)
From:      John M Vinopal <banshee@abattoir.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   startup lookups

I start userland ppp in my startup scripts via start_if.tun0; I run it in
-auto mode and it dials when startup hits ntpdate.  However, ppp blocks
for a good minute or two when starting -- some sort of name lookup.

What the heck is it looking up?  There are no hostnames in /etc/ppp/ppp.conf
or ppp.secret.  I have the same issue with sendmail which I thought was
looking up vixie's black hole stuff until I realize that was on the other
machine entirely.

I'm going to boot single user and look at what its looking up, but in
general are these issues with ppp starting from rc?  It starts quickly
if I run it later.  I think I understand why sysvers like runlevels now.

-j