Date:      Thu, 12 Mar 1998 22:57:55 -0800
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CPU calibration problems

David Kelly wrote:

> Studded writes:
> >       For some time now I've had problems with the calibration of my CPU
> > speed during boot. I have a Dell XPS P90 machine, and I currently have a
> > '586 Pentium Overdrive chip in it which normally clocks out to 150.34.
> > However, here's some examples of incorrect values:
> >
> >  CPU: Pentium (109.75-MHz 586-class CPU)
> >  CPU: Pentium (118.77-MHz 586-class CPU)
>
> I have one P90 that also boots with squirelly CPU speeds reported.
> Never seen it as wildly off as yours. OTOH, I haven't booted it as many
> times as you've documented.  :-)

	This is my home machine. I use it to test -Stable builds, scripts, etc.
I have it configured pretty much like the systems I administer remotely
so that I can test changes. It gets booted a lot. :)

> Last time booted it was approximately correct. Has been running several
> months now. Just what is the real problem if this value is reported
> wrong?

	Well, I don't know that small errors are a big problem. However as I
pointed out in my follow up post when the difference gets larger I get
more and more calcru errors, such as /kernel: calcru: negative time:
-84750 usec. When the difference is very high every single operation
gives an error, it's like fireworks. :)  Frankly my main concern was
that I be able to overclock again, but I wasn't comfortable doing that
till I knew for sure that I could get the thing to work properly at the
regular speed.

Thanks for your interest,

Doug

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the world's largest