Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 2000 16:34:56 -0400
From:      "Cribbins, Jason" <Jason.Cribbins@qwest.com>
To:        john253@crosswinds.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Unable to boot 4.1.1

> Cribbins, Jason wrote:
> >I may have got the ad and da mixed up since I was unable to
> do copy/paste to
> >ensure everything was accurate due to the nature of the
> server at the time
> >of me writing the email.
>
> Right, so where's the 'active' bootable partition, SCSI or IDE?
> As you've added the IDE drive and controller I would guess
> you won't be
> able to boot from it unless you can change the boot order in the BIOS.

In the attempts to use both IDE and SCSI the bootable drive has always been
the IDE.  I will try to make it the SCSI on my next install attempt.  But I
must note that with no SCSI connected at all I get the same response from
the system.  I also still have no way to access the bios because it is
loaded on a partition of the HD which BSD wiped out during the initial
install. I am unable to get any help from Compaq in this respect because I
have yet to determine the exact model# or even what model family it belongs
to.

I suppose the only real way to test this Bios theory is for me to get
another BM which I have BIOS access to and see if the IDE cards is
supported.

> <snipped the swap explanation>

<snipped the softpaq explanation>

> I'm afraid I can't help with this problem as I've never owned a Compaq
> and I'm sure I don't want one if what you say is right.  You have my
> sympathy.

Well what can you expect for a $20 computer....I am now thinking I might
have been ripped off paying that much for all the trouble this thing has
given me!

> Have you tried just a minimal installation on the SCSI drive?  You can
> move /usr /var and /tmp to the IDE drive later.  If that doesn't work
> you should be able to boot the HD from a floppy as a last resort.

I have thought about a floppy solution....but I do not know how to make such
a disk.  My space trouble is mainly a /usr situation.  All other mounts I
have seen normally wont even begin to stress the 520MB SCSI.  Tonight I will
attempt reload and install everything but /usr on the SCSI and use all of
the IDE for /usr.  With default all I noted that the /usr takes up all the
extra space not allocated to anything else.  So taking the /usr away leave
about 420MB of empty space which I will take into the swap or /tmp or
whatever I guess.

> I would have thought that your new IDE controller card would
> work ok if
> the onboard IDE is disabled in the BIOS.  But how can you be
> sure without
> access to it?

I believe the onboard IDE is disabled because I get no response with DOS
FDISK program.  IT is either disabled or totally incompatible with my ATA66
HD which should support ATA33 as well.

> One more thing (bear in mind I know 0 about SCSI) I noticed
> you referred
> to da4 whereas the kernel was not found on da0.  Is this something to
> do with wiring down the disks? From /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT

<snipped the SCSI stuff>

That was my typo.
I meant ad4 and da0
first onboard SCSI device and 4th IDE device....apparently skipping the
onboard controller reservations.

I appreciate the info...I may have figured this out.  And if not will pursue
the floppy boot solution.  If all else fails I have a new target for my
shotgun.  I was just trying to make use of old hardware...hate to waste
anything when I can put this cheap stuff to good use.

Thanks
Jason Cribbins