Date:      Wed, 11 Apr 2001 00:13:19 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
To:        mudman <mudman@R181204.resnet.ucsb.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Security Announcements?

mudman wrote:

> What would be the fundamental difference between the release and stable
> branches?  Why would one branch run less secure than another, especially
> if both are used in server systems world wide?

releases aren't branches, they're snapshots of a single point in time
along the stable branch.  If you cvsup -stable you'll get all the
security (and other) fixes applied to it, if you just use a release you
have to go out and find the security fixes yourself (not hard, given
that they're all clearly mentioned in the advisories).  Maybe some
people prefer that.  I just prefer the cvsup && make world combination.

--
Ben Smithurst / ben@FreeBSD.org