Date:      Fri, 12 Sep 1997 22:35:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nfs startup - perhaps it is a problem

On Mon, 8 Sep 1997, Brian Somers wrote:

> The problem was that mount couldn't resolve the host names from
> fstab.  This brings up two things:

Oh that doesn't help ;-)

> 1.  Why is "mount -a -t nfs" redirected to /dev/null ?  It seems
>     happy if there are no nfs filesystems in fstab, so wouldn't it be
>     better if we see any such errors ?
>
> 2.  Should named be done in pass 1, or is it done this way because
>     your named config files may be on an nfs drive ;-/
>
> The whole thing is worked around nicely by putting a nameserver in
> resolv.conf or by reading /etc/hosts first and putting all your "close
> friends" in there.  I think 1. should be done at least.

A good idea.  I don't use NFS mounts so I don't know if mount gets noisy
about mounting NFS.  You'll have to ask hackers@freebsd.org about it.

Your /etc/hosts should always be populated with necessary systems as a
precaution and a speed improvement.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo