Date:      Thu, 29 Mar 101 05:27:05 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Przemyslaw Brojewski <przemek@my.tenbit.pl>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Are large uids supported?

> It seems that adduser is out of date. It does indeed insist that user
> ids be less than 32000. But uid's are a 32 bit int. I created a user
> with an id of 1,000,000 and pwd_mkdb said
> 	pwd_mkdb: 1000000 > recommended max uid value (65535)
> A couple of quick tests showed that things worked just fine.

A very good news, thanks!

> If it's just a mail server, why are you creating a uid for each user?
> You just need to arrange to deliver their mail to a mailbox, and let
> them fetch it from that mailbox with POP or IMAP. Both of those are
> possible without a uid. Or is that not the situation?

Errrm..
1. How about quotas? Why replicate something that already exists?
2. Users will eventually get the possibility to ftp in, and maintain
   their www pages. It's not the situation yet, but it for sure will
   come up soon. That's the market :). Even if ftp is possible
   without uids, I think uids provide better checking of file
   permissions than any application would provide. And quotas again.

Generally using uids for accounts will reduce the amount of work
I would have to do. That's what I think. I'm a bit conerned with
efficiency of that system. But then again, I could engage pam,
or ldap in some twisted ways ;-) if native password database ever
becomes a bottleneck.

Przemek Brojewski.