Date:      Fri, 19 Feb 1999 13:34:11 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        wildcardus freakis <wildcard@dax.belen.k12.nm.us>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.1-RELEASE and boot.flp

On Thursday, 18 February 1999 at 14:38:13 -0700, wildcardus freakis wrote:

> Curious...how you make a floppy out of a file that is:
>
> -rw-r--r--  1 2035  207  2949120 Feb 16 03:21 boot.flp
>
> ---------------------------^
>
> This seems inordinatly large for a floppy....

It fits nicely onto a 2.88 MB floppy, or with a lot of empty space on
an LS-120.

> I would like to know cause I am trying to install 3.1

Here's part of the draft of the third edition of The Complete FreeBSD:

   Computer hardware is changing, and finally floppies are going away;
   instead, modern computers boot from CD-ROM.  If yours doesn't, you
   can still boot from floppy, but in 3.0 the boot image (the data
   needed to put on the floppy) no longer fits on a single 1.44 MB
   floppy.  The boot.flp image still exists, but you will need a 2.88
   MB floppy or an LS-120 drive in order to use it.  If you still need
   to boot from a 1.44MB disk, you will need two floppies.  Copy
   kern.flp to the first and msfroot.flp to the other.  Boot from the
   first floppy (the one containing the kern.flp image).  After

   Please insert MFS root floppy and press enter:

   After you replace the floppy and press enter, the boot procedure
   carries on as before.

If there's anything incorrect or confusing about that, now's the time
to tell me.

Greg