Date:      Tue, 21 Oct 2003 13:28:38 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Zhang Weiwu" <weiwuzhang@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: realtek cardbus drive?

> From: "Zhang Weiwu" <weiwuzhang@hotmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 17:30:53 +0800
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
>

> Hello. I just get a Realtek 8193-chip based cardbus NIC, the pccardd won't
> recognize it. I am on 4.8 RC2 on Thinkpad R30. Check the
> /etc/default/pccard.conf, I found no card is using the Realtek drive (rl0).

This is (as you say) a CardBus card. CardBus is not supported on
V4. It is supported on V5. I believe the RealTek chip is now
supported, but I can't confirm it. But to get ANY CardBus card to
work, you need V5 with NEWCARD (NEWCARD is the default in V5).

Note: NEWCARD is VERY different from the system in STABLE. Pay
attention to the comments in GENERIC and don't try using pccardd. It
is not part of NEWCARD.

There would not appear to be any chance of getting any CardBus device
to ever work on V4.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)