Date:      Thu, 21 Jul 2005 23:41:23 +1000
From:      Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
To:        Daniel Marsh <daniel@stiw.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DNS service with a SQL backend

Daniel Marsh wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 15:20:11 +0800, Norberto Meijome

>> On a similar thread, does anyone know of any dns server software that
>> would serve different IPs depending on where the query/request comes
>> from?
>> i.e., - resolve www.mydomain.com to the IP of my server in AU for all
>> clients querying from AU,JP and HK. Everyone else should get the IP
>> for  my server in US.

> It may be possible to use BIND9 feature of allowing certain IP ranges
> to  only query certain zone files.

ah yes, i had forgotten of this feature... but...

> The only issue I foresee is having to have slightly different zone
> names  that you wish to serve for each IP range.

I think that having different zone names would defeat the purpose of
what I have in mind.

The way I can imagine this working is that in the function (object?)
where BIND resolves name to IP, it'd do a IP-to-country lookup, match
that to a country-to-dns table and serve the appropiate IP. A fallback
for all records should be provided so that only the special cases
('geotargetted' DNS resolutions) would have to be defined.

I hope it makes sense.

Beto