Date:      Fri, 02 Jun 2006 12:42:13 +0100
From:      Robin Becker <robin@reportlab.com>
To:        "Daan Vreeken [PA4DAN]" <Danovitsch@vitsch.net>,  questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: qpopper for root

Daan Vreeken [PA4DAN] wrote:
> On Friday 02 June 2006 12:34, Robin Becker wrote:
>
> Using pop3 to get root's email means you are sending root's login password in
> plain text to the pop3 server. It's unwise to change qpopper to allow you to
> login as root.

I thought I was sending the APOP password only.

> Simply create a "normal" user and create a mail alias address so that all mail
> to root gets forwarded to the normal user. Then setup your mail client to
> login to pop3 using the username & passwd of the normal user.
>
> Setting up an alias is easy. Simply add the following line to /etc/aliases to
> forward root's email to normal_user :
> root: normal_user

that's a good answer and will allow my despamming stuff to work on it. I was
hoping to be able to clear the root mailbox as well. Is there an easy way to do
that? In practice if I'm not trying to clear roots mbox, can I not just forward
mail with root's .forward file?
--
Robin Becker