Date:      Wed, 23 Oct 2002 18:33:23 +0200
From:      thrawn@linux.nu
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RAID/Disc problem with a American Megatrends RAID controller. ( 428 )

Hi,

I have hade this problem before but I ignored it then but since It showed up again I decided to post it.

When I turned on my monitor to my server It was constatly printing out this error message in to my console:

"amr: I/O error 0x1"

I have hade this error before, I figure it has something to do with a bad disc or sector on it. The only thing left to do was to reboot because it did this in a instant loop.

I could not login as a user and reboot because of this. So I pressed ctrl-alt-del and that worked after a couple of minutes. And the when I did get to my RAID controllers BIOS at startup it hade offcorse degrade two disc.

I have set it up in RAID 5. Using 5 18.4 10k rpm seagate cheata disc. The controller have 2 channels. The first channel have 3 of the disc, id 0-2 and the second have 2 disc, id 0-1.

On the first channel disc with id 0 and 2 was degraded. I made disc 2 online because I guessed its the disc with id 0 that did cause this. And I was right the filesystem when I booted up the box again the filesystem was not corrupted, but offcourse it runed fsck on the partions. And then the system worked fine again accept for the disc with id 0 on the first channel.

So I need som advice to what could be causing this problem, is this a failing disc or does this problem only emarge because of it trying to write on a bad sector on this disc and that is what is causing this error?

I can supply my info if asked for but I don't see why that should be necessery, One other thing that have crossed my mind is that this disc is more greedy when it comes to power than the other disc and may be causing this problem as well.
But then again I have hade this system upp and runing for weeks now.

How often are the disc supposed to recalibrate, I mean spin down and up again, could this be a sign of the disc not getting enought power?

MVH Mattias Björk.