Date:      Mon, 20 Sep 1999 16:58:30 -0400
From:      W Gerald Hicks <wghicks@bellsouth.net>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
Cc:        Mats Lofkvist <mal@algonet.se>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, wghicks@wghicks.bellsouth.net
Subject:   Re: GNU GLOBAL

> I think that Jerry, in using GLOBAL as an example to push his desire for a
> smaller FreeBSD, rather clouded the issue.  I would wish that, if Shigio
> doesn't actually assign the copyright to the FSF, then he can release it
> under both copyrights, and please everyone.  If Jerry wants to have
> FreeBSD be smaller, I think that this method wasn't a good way to start
> his campaign.

Perhaps; this is why I rescinded my offer to do all the legwork and take
on the burden of maintaining the port :-)

Seriously, I believe GLOBAL and FreeBSD would _both_ be better served
by having it installed from ports anyway.  Note that gozilla isn't even
installed by the version in /usr/src, owing to its need for things
coming from ports (X, Netscape).

> Shigio was probably taken aback by Jerry's proposal.

But not nearly as taken aback as I was that a BSD package is going
GPL.

:-(

--
Jerry Hicks