Date:      Sat, 22 Feb 2003 10:59:03 -0500
From:      Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@unixdaemons.com>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: TCP connections timing out "real fast"

On Sat, Feb 22, 2003 at 10:57:05AM -0500, Robert Watson wrote:

> Don't yet have any quantitative evidence that this is the case, but I feel
> like TCP sessions have been timing out on me a lot faster than they used
> to.  For example, yesterday a machine got unplugged from the network for
> about 15 seconds: in that time, the SSH sessions to the machine timed out
> and disconnected.  This morning, a machine generated a lot of output to
> the serial console keeping it substantially busy for about 20 seconds; in
> that time, the SSH session to it timed out.  I'm going to see if I can't
> generate some tcpdump traces later today to confirm my suspicions, but was
> wondering if anyone else (annecdotally or not) has seen similar things?
>
> Robert N M Watson             FreeBSD Core Team, TrustedBSD Projects
> robert@fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories

  I have (annecdotally) but I believe I'm seeing it on -STABLE too...
  it's tough to tell... how recent are your -CURRENT machines, though,
  and is it something that you think just started happening or has it
  been happening for a while now?  FWIW, I can't say for sure that this
  is related to TCP connection timeouts.

--
Bosko Milekic * bmilekic@unixdaemons.com * bmilekic@FreeBSD.org