Date:      Mon, 20 Oct 1997 00:29:01 -0400
From:      William Maloney <wmaloney@multiverse.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Getting FreeBSD to boot from my MBR.

--=====================_877336141==_

About a year ago I purchased the FreeBSD 2.0.5 Walnut Creek CD Roms.
At that time I was running a 486-66 with 8mbs ram.  I couldn't get
these to work right and just set them aside.

Now I have a AMD-K5-166 with 64mbs ram, a 2.1GB scsi hd, a 507MB
scsi hd, and a scsi CDROM.  I am running Win95.  The 2.1GB hard
drive is solely for Win95.

I thought I would give these FreeBSD Roms another shot, so I installed
them on the 507MB scsi without many problems.
The installation took ok but I can't seem to get the hard-drive boot
into FreeBSD.  At boot I always get the following:

      F1......       Dos
      Default:F1

Now if I hit F1 or don't do anything the system always goes to W95:

     Starting Windows 95

The following is how my 'Label' editor is set-up:

    Port       Mount        Size      Newfs
   sdos1      /msdos       2047MB     Y
   sd1s1      /dos            4MB     Y
   sd1s2a     /             395MB     Y
   sd1s3b      swap          64MB
   sd1s4e     /usr          143MB     Y

On the sd1s1 above I even put a small Dos partition (as according to your
FAQs) so the geometry is right on boot-up.  That didn't help - it still
will not see the FreeBSD on boot - it only sees the Dos.

I can get to the installed FreeBSD by leaving in my boot disk in the
'A' drive and when it comes to the Boot: here is what I do:

      Boot: sd(1,a)/kernel

That gets me into the operating system, but it's a pain doing it that
way.

How can I set-up this MBR properly so I can either boot into Dos or
FreeBSD?

Do you need any further info?

Thank you,

wmaloney@multiverse.com