Date:      Thu, 12 Mar 1998 23:09:39 -0800
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        "Shin'ichiro Seto/OTESS, Inc." <mluser01@otess.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mail Server should be inside of ipfw ?

Shin'ichiro Seto/OTESS, Inc. wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> This is a kind of generic issue but I hope someone will give me an idea.

	You can get some good general help here. When you have a more concrete
plan you might want to post it to freebsd-isp for review. At the same
time (and please don't take this the wrong way) you should seriously
consider hiring someone to help you with this. The cost of hiring a good
consultant can be made up many times over the first time you have to go
down there at 2am and spend hours recreating things from scratch.

> I'm going to have two FreeBSD boxes at our customer site as Internet servers.

	Good choice. :)

> One will be ipfw + proxy + dns, and the other one will be mail + web + dns.

	I hope that you are planning to put at least one mail and one dns
server at a different location for backup.

> I wonder if mail server exists inside of the firewall is better or outside.

	Your best bet would probably be to have an "outside" mail server that
receives the mail and uses a smart relay host rule to pass it inside the
firewall to the other machine that will pass out the actual mail.

> If it were inside, crackers would attack the intranet through sendmail.

	This is not as much of a problem as it used to be, but it's a valid
concern.

> I don't know how but I'm saying a possibility. Also, the mail server will
> be http server. This means that they could get into the intranet using
> cgi program if the program were so stupid.

	Someone already mentioned your best bet would be to put the http server
on the outside of the firewall and not put anything other than the bare
essentials on it.

> If it were outside, it'd be easier to crack down the mail server itself and
> get the passwd file.

	See above. You want to avoid having any non-essential services on the
firewall machine.

> If anyone has same situation, please let me know which one is better and why.
> Or, If I have to have a firewall program instead of ipfw to say "This site
> has a firewall", please give me any idea on firewall.

	The ipfw that comes with freebsd should do everything you need for an
operation like this. If you look at the /etc/rc.firewall script there
are some good books recommended in there for you.

Hope this helps,

Doug

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the world's largest