Date:      Fri, 3 Aug 2001 20:12:41 -0300
From:      Fernan Aguero <fernan@iib.unsam.edu.ar>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RELENG_4_3 calls itself -RELEASE?

Guys,

Please call it what you want, but make it clear in the Handbook!!!

 From reading the handbook I thought of -STABLE as a relatively static
code base, with just patches and fixes added now and then. It seems
that -STABLE is a little more dynamic than that.

Right now there are only mentions about -STABLE and -CURRENT in the handbook.
-RELEASE should be made a little bit more clear.

And definitely, if you installed -RELEASE once, and then updated it,
it should be named something else.
Perhaps -RELEASE should only be used for releases ... 4.3-RELEASE
could be an alias to 4.3.0 and then we could get 4.3.1, 4.3.2, etc ...
However it should be _clear_ that whenever you check out using cvs
you get a snapshot of what is in _between_ releases (or
microreleases).

Lic. Fernan Aguero
Instituto de Investigaciones Biotecnologicas
Universidad Nacional de General San Martin

INTI, Edificio 24
1650 San Martin
Argentina

Tel: (54-11) 4752-0021, 4580-7255