Date:      Sat, 08 Dec 2007 03:07:38 -0700
From:      Predrag Punosevac <punosevac@math.arizona.edu>
To:        =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Micha=EBl_Gr=FCnewald?= <michael.grunewald@laposte.net>
Cc:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcw@highperformance.net>, freebsd general questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Scanner Compatibility

Michaël Grünewald wrote:
> Predrag Punosevac <punosevac@math.arizona.edu> writes:
>

>> I use Epson Perfection 1670 and it works like a charm. Unfortunately
>> it does require binary blob which might be something you want to
>> avoid.
>>

> What is that binary blob stuff? Do you mean by this a binary image
> that should be loaded in kernel --- after being correctly wrapped just
> like some wifi card drivers? If this is the case, there is no chance
> to make the blob work under amd64, is there?

Ok,
Let me clarify firstly some things. Firmware is a binary file which you
extract in this case from the M$ .cab  file supplied to you by
scanner manufacturer. You place this file on proper file
/usr/local/share/sane/snapscan. (So it is different than a kernel module
for Wi drivers that you kldload into your kernel) I have never bothered
to understand scanning as much as I tried to understand Unix printing
but I believe that this file is used by sane to speak proprietary
language of your particular scanner. In essence your scanner uses this
file to explain the Sane the page layout and graphics. So it is not a
driver! I am not sure if there is such thing as Command  Scanner
Language (you are probably familiar with Command Printer Language) and
something equivalent to Postscript language in world of printers.

Anyhow, if you are serious about security you should never use any type
of binaries supported by hardware vendors. (I sound if I have been using
too much OpenBSD lately :-) )

I see no reason why should sane-backhands work any different on amd64.
On another hand if you are using amd64 that tells me that you are
running serious production servers so why would you want to attach a
scanner to  such  machine is not really clear to me.
You may attach a scanner to a workstation running i386 and possibly make
scanning available  on the local network but never to serious production
server.

>> If you need step by step instructions how to install scanner you
>> might contact me via private mail.
>>

> I am very interested in this kind of technical information, since I do
> foreplan to buy a scanner. If you really think[1] this discussion would
> be a nuisance for the list, would you be kind enough to CC me?
>
> [1] One can consider that even if the discussion topic does not hit
>     most of its members, it can be useful to contribute here these
>     technical details because they will be archived and could then be
>     referenced in future discussions, searched, etc.

As I said before the handbook is excellent but here is my quick and
dirty step by step how to for scanners.

For the purposes of this how to I will assume that your scanner is
attached via USB to your workstation. (You can read the handbook about
SCSI scanners)

Step 1  Make sure  your  kernel  contains  the  following (Generic
Kernel will contain it!!!)

device usb
device uhci
device ohci
device uscanner

Step 2 Edit /etc/devfs.conf with the permissions

perm ugen* 0666
perm uscanner* 0666

This is of course huge security risk and there are much better ways to
give access to sane-backhands and common users to device nodes.

Step 3 Reboot the computer

Step 4 Type $ scanimage -L as a common user to get a list of detected
scanners. You should get something as

[pedja@ /usr/home/Pedja]$ scanimage -L
device `snapscan:/dev/uscanner0' is a EPSON EPSON Scanner flatbed scanner

Step 5 Type $ scanimage -T as a common user to test the installation.
You should get something like this if your
scanner does not need binary blob.

[pedja@ /usr/home/Pedja]$ scanimage -T
scanimage: scanning image of size 2552x3507 pixels at 24 bits/pixel
scanimage: acquiring RGB frame, 8 bits/sample
scanimage: reading one scanline, 7656 bytes...  PASS
scanimage: reading one byte...          PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 2 bytes...     PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 4 bytes...     PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 8 bytes...     PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 16 bytes...    PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 32 bytes...    PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 64 bytes...    PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 128 bytes...   PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 256 bytes...   PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 512 bytes...   PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 1024 bytes...  PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 2048 bytes...  PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 4096 bytes...  PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 8192 bytes...  PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 8191 bytes...  PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 4095 bytes...  PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 2047 bytes...  PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 1023 bytes...  PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 511 bytes...   PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 255 bytes...   PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 127 bytes...   PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 63 bytes...    PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 31 bytes...    PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 15 bytes...    PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 7 bytes...     PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 3 bytes...     PASS

Note: All of the above is very well explained in man scanimage

Step 6 Read carefully the output of scanimage -T because it is a key for
the trouble shooting your scanner.

Step 7 If you need firmware compile the port
/usr/ports/archivers/cabextract

Step 8 From the CD that came with your scanner and M$ .cub file extract
ESFW30.BIN (This is firmware file for my scanner)

Step 9 cp ESFW30.BIN
/usr/local/share/sane/snapscan/your-firmwarefile.bin (Keep the file name
your-firmwarefile.bin||
unless you want to edit one of sane configuration files:-)

Step 10 Try again scanimage -T

Step 11 Read carefully the output.

Step 12 If it still does not work  cd /usr/local/etc/sane.d as a supper user

Step 13 # ls  (And you should see something like )

[pedja@ /usr/local/etc/sane.d]$ ls
abaton.conf             genesys.conf            ricoh.conf
agfafocus.conf          gt68xx.conf             s9036.conf
apple.conf              hp.conf                 saned.conf
artec.conf              hp4200.conf             sceptre.conf
artec_eplus48u.conf     hp5400.conf             sharp.conf
avision.conf            ibm.conf                sm3840.conf
bh.conf                 leo.conf                snapscan.conf
canon.conf              lexmark.conf            sp15c.conf
canon630u.conf          ma1509.conf             st400.conf
coolscan.conf           matsushita.conf         stv680.conf
coolscan2.conf          microtek.conf           tamarack.conf
dc210.conf              microtek2.conf          teco1.conf
dc240.conf              mustek.conf             teco2.conf
dc25.conf               mustek_usb.conf         teco3.conf
dist                    nec.conf                test.conf
dll.conf                net.conf                u12.conf
dmc.conf                pie.conf                umax.conf
epson.conf              plustek.conf            umax1220u.conf
fujitsu.conf            plustek_pp.conf         umax_pp.conf

Step 14 As my scanner is epson I will carefully inspect file epson.conf
and make sure my scanner model is listed in the file.

Note: It always helps to have up to date ports tree and the latest
version of sane-backhands as the models are constantly updated.

Step 15 Start Xsane (Kooka) as a common user (never as a root) and enjoy
your scanning. If your scanner was listed on Sane website as completely
supported or good supported (means some obscure feature is not
supported) you will be able to scan documents with the same quality and
easy of use as if you were using Windows.

Note also that you might need to set preferences for Xsane. I for one
use scanner mostly to scan the documents so I prefer to keep them as
.pdf file. If you are using scanner to scan old photos or old negatives
you probably want different format. You will see setting Xsane is an
art in its own right and there are tons of options.

Remark: It is possible to get more scanners working with Sane-frontends
as it contains usually the latest not fully tested drivers.
Also some of HP flat bad scanners working using the binaries from HPLIP.

Best,
Predrag

P. S. I left out scanning over the network from this how to. That
probably should be consider advanced topic in scanning.