Date:      Fri, 23 Jul 1999 18:20:52 +0200
From:      German Tischler <tanis@gaspode.franken.de>
To:        Ken Seggerman <suleyman@echonyc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: C++ in GNU 2.8.1

On Fri, Jul 23, 1999 at 10:39:28AM -0400, Ken Seggerman wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> The GNU 2.8.1 compiler package that came with the FreeBSD 3.1 CD seems to
> be full of problems. Once I got it working to some extent, I found that
> namespaces were not working and many of the new features that I was able
> to use on 2.8.1 on Solaris were not working.
>
> Has any progress been made since then?
>
> I would hesitate to try this again either as a package or a port until I
> hear that some of these problems have been fixed.

Version 2.8.1 of the GNU C/C++ Compiler is 'stone old'. If you want
a compiler that gets reasonably close to ISO C++, use the latest
EGCS release (1.1.2 at the time being). It supports namespaces
but namespace std is on by default (I don't know if it can be
turned off). It also doesn't support some other features as
stringstreams, numeric_limits<> etc. but it's much better
for C++ than anything from GNU below version 2.95 (which doesn't
seem to have been released yet).

--
German Tischler		tanis@gaspode.franken.de
			tanis@cip.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de