Date:      Thu, 7 Jan 1999 21:01:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      "K. Marsh" <durang@u.washington.edu>
To:        Justin Simms <justins@jps.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hamellr@dsinw.com
Subject:   Re: Modem reccomendation

On Thu, 7 Jan 1999, Justin Simms wrote:

> I really can't imagine a set of circumstances in which a zoom modem would
> be preferable to a USR. Was this a typo?

I got a USR 33.6 (internal) for about a hundred a while back, thinking
that USR is the best.  I got it running with no problem, but I got very
bad transfer rates with it.  I tried it in three OS's with two machines
and two ISPs, and the transfer rates I got in all cases were easily beat
by the Supra 14.4 from which I was trying to upgrade.

I met an ISP guy in a bar who told me that USRs are kind of like
MicroSoft.  They seems to assume that there's another USR on the other end
of the line.  He said if I used his ISP, I wouldn't have problems, because
all of his modems were USR.  I didn't take him up on that.

It's hard to send a modem in for repair when it works, even if it doesn't
do a very good job.  By the time I realized it wasn't simply a matter of
setting it up correctly, it was too late to return it.  But without
sending it in, I don't have any way of knowing if it's faulty or if
there's an undocumented init string or something like that.

Anyone else ever experience this, or have I been sitting on a faulty piece
of gear this whole time?

  Kenneth J. Marsh             University of Washington
  durang@u.washington.edu        Chemical Engineering