Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 1999 12:19:07 -0700
From:      Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ab.ca>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: wd driver will be retired!

    Mike> The "right" solution is and has always been to name your
    Mike> disks and mount them by name.  Once devfs is a reality,
    Mike> we'll be able to do just this.  Until then, the problem's
    Mike> not really as bad as you make it out to be.

I like the assigned-name solution. I still don't like dynamic disk names.
It's not a show-stopper by any stretch, but if you move disks around,
(not uncommon on development machines) it's a pain. And while you're correct
about the boot/fsck issues, adding a renumbering in /etc/fstab to my
restart sequence isn't doing anything to get the machine back up quickly
(or reliably).

Anyway, enough of this -- I have config files to go hardwire :-)

--lyndon