Date:      Wed, 20 May 2009 17:36:46 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <alfred@freebsd.org>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@telenix.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: porting info for FreeBSD's kernel?

* Chuck Robey <chuckr@telenix.org> [090518 13:03] wrote:

> I've been googling, trying to see if I can find notes regarding what needs
> changing, in what order, to adapt the FreeBSD kernel to a new processor.  Anyone
> know where stuff like that can be found?

You need a cross compile toolchain of course, look into how FreeBSD
is configured for the various arches.

Then I would suggest looking at the loaders, followed by
kern/init_main.c.  If you trace down init_main.c and some
of the early sysinits that should give you an idea.

You might also be able to backtrack using CVS/svn to follow
how mips or arm was done.

Note: freebsd has a decent cross-compile setup now, see
"make universe" so things should be easier to get started.

--
- Alfred Perlstein