Date:      Wed, 13 Feb 2002 17:56:21 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        FreeBSD List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: CD device confusion, clarification sought

On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 06:56:09AM +0100, Cliff Sarginson wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 05:01:13PM -0500, parv wrote:
> > in message <20020212215431.GA392@raggedclown.net>,
> > wrote Cliff Sarginson thusly...
> > >
> > > My CD/DVD player is recognised as follows according to dmesg:
> > >
> > > acd0: DVD-ROM <Pioneer DVD-ROM ATAPIModel DVD-105S 0111> at ata0-slave
> > > using PIO.....
> > >
> > > When I try to run kscd it complains about an error on
> > >
> > > /dev/rmatcd0c
> > >
> > > What is this ?
> >
> > see /sys/i368/conf/LINT...
> >
> > # matcd: Matsushita/Panasonic CD-ROM using proprietary (non-ATAPI)
> > # interface
> Ok.
> Except it does not appear in my conf file; I am curious why the software
> is trying to use it as a default. And the KDE app has no manual page,
> and no obvious way to change the device it looks at. Maybe a symlink
> of /dev/cdrom (a la Linux ? I shall try that out later). Also cdplay
> does not actually complain about anything, it just does not work until
> you specify the correct device with the "-d" option.
>
> Why on earth would any piece of software to play a CD try and use a
> default device for a long-defunct piece of hardware ?

If anyone cares :) problem is solved by adjusting the KDE configuration
file for kscd. It still remains a mystery why it chose this odd device
as the default.

Second point is that I stated in can play CD's with cdplay console app.
I can. But according to the manual page I should not be able to since
it is for SCSI devices only. The only SCSI device I have is a HD.
So make of that what you will...

--
Regards
Cliff