Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 2002 15:59:11 -0700
From:      O'Shaughnessy Evans <shaug@aloha.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   watchdog timeout on Broadcom Gigabit NICs

Hello.  I've recently installed FreeBSD 4.6.2 on a Dell PowerEdge 2650,
and I'm running into a problem that I haven't been able to solve.
One of my interfaces is regularly hanging up.  It's a 2-port Broadcom
Gigabit Ethernet card using the bge driver.  I see this on console every
time it locks up:

  bge0: watchdog timeout -- resetting

As far as I can tell, the cabling is good.  Hardware diagnostics didn't
reveal any problems.  The man page for bge doesn't say much about what
could cause this, but I'm fairly sure the NIC works when other operating
systems run on the box, so I doubt it's a hardware issue.  Does anyone
have suggestions on what else I can try to get rid of the timeouts?

Thanks.

--
= o'shaughnessy evans =                   = unix sys admin @ aloha.net =
 Smash forehead on keyboard to continue ...