Date:      Fri, 13 May 2005 22:02:40 +0800
From:      Eugene Grosbein <eugen@kuzbass.ru>
To:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.4: pci_link problem on 440BX

John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> We shouldn't print that message unless pci_link is enabled.  When pci_link is
> disabled we shouldn't even be looking at PRT entries.  Can you try booting a
> 6.0-snapshot CD and seeing if it works ok?

I've installed 6.0-CURRENT (sources of 12 May 2005) on free slice:
booted my 5.4-STABLE and followed instructions in src/UPDATING for 6.x:

	To cross-install current onto a separate partition
	# In this approach we use a separate partition to hold
	# current's root, 'usr', and 'var' directories.   A partition
	# holding "/", "/usr" and "/var" should be about 2GB in
	# size.

I made one 2G partition occupying whole slice newfs'd as UFS1.

	<make sure you have good level 0 dumps>
	<boot into -stable>
	make buildworld
	make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
	<maybe newfs current's root partition>
	<mount current's root partition on directory ${CURRENT_ROOT}>
	make installworld DESTDIR=${CURRENT_ROOT}
	cd src/etc; make distribution DESTDIR=${CURRENT_ROOT} # if newfs'd

make distribution failed, I ignored that.

	make installkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE DESTDIR=${CURRENT_ROOT}
	cp /etc/fstab ${CURRENT_ROOT}/etc/fstab 		   # if newfs'd
	<edit ${CURRENT_ROOT}/etc/fstab to mount "/" from the correct partition>
	<reboot into current>
	<do a "native" rebuild/install as described in the previous section>

It boots, but later make buildworld always hangs machine silently
using 6.0 GENERIC kernel with ACPI. No reaction on Ctrl-T, no console
switching (cursor hides after the first attempt to switch vty),
but KDB is alive. I failed to disable ACPI using acpi_load=NO
so just renamed /boot/kernel/acpi.ko and booted without ACPI.
Then buildworld and other stages of '"native" rebuild/install'
complete successfully.

	<maybe install compatibility libraries from src/lib/compat>

Skipped that.

 	<reboot>

Now 6.0 boots to multiuser mode with ACPI fully enabled or fully disabled.
make buildworld cannot be completed with ACPI - still silent hang
of userland and no console switching (keyboard leds do switch and
KDB works).

6.0's GENERIC does not boot to single user with debug.acpi.disabled="pci_link",
fatal trap 12 occures: page fault while in kernel mode,
fault virtual address 0x0, supervisor read, page not present
in acpi_pci_link_lookup+0x26.

Kernel and world were build with missing /etc/make.conf.

No ATA timeouts observed in any stage during my "exercises" with 6.0

Eugene Grosbein