Date:      Thu, 18 Jun 1998 15:21:23 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jeremy Shaffner <jer@jorsm.com>
To:        Harald Franke <Harald_Franke@ocs-online.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD v2.2.6 --> PII-266 Error

On Thu, 18 Jun 1998, Harald Franke wrote:

> Hello FreeBSD SupportTEAM,

E-mail to support@cdrom.com also goes to the FreeBSD-Questions mailing
list.  It is a public list so the majority of help you get may come from
friendly volunteers and not necessarily someone who works at Walnut Creek
or directly involved in the FreeBSD Project.

> now i install FreeBSD on a PII-266 with 64MB, and 52GB HDDs (2x 12GB+1x
> 4GB).
>
> When I install FreeBSD i receive this ERROR Message:
>
> canīt install FreeBSD, system memory to low.
>
> Why that ? Bevor i upgrade to PII iīm running FreeBSD on a P75 with 24MB
> without problems.

This is a known problem on systems with 64M of memory.  Take out 48M and
install it with just 16.  Once installation is complete, put the memory
back in.  It is only a problem during installation and everything will
work properly once it's back in.

> With my upgrade i will install now a PCI NE2000 (COMDEX NE2000) this is an
> PnP card, FreeBSD donīt find this card.
> What can I do ? All Cards on the maket are only PnP cards. On this cards i
> canīt configure IRQ / I/O Ports.

Use the disk that came with the card to check or set the IRQ and I/O
address.  Use the kernel configuration utility (-c at the boot: prompt) to
change the resources.