Date:      Mon, 17 Feb 1997 14:05:49 -0330 (NST)
From:      John Rochester <jr@cs.mun.ca>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: File system/disk recovery tools ?

On Mon, 17 Feb 1997, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> actually an annoying thing with fsck -b is that I never know what
> to use as an alternate superblock number. 32, says the manpage, is
> an alternate superblock, but what are others ?

Try doing a newfs -N on the partition.  That will tell you where it
would put the superblocks if you were creating the filesystem now.
Unless the original filesystem was created with really strange parameters,
they will be in the same position.

john
-----
John Rochester			jr@cs.mun.ca
Dept. of Computer Science
Memorial University of Newfoundland, St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada