Date:      Thu, 17 Jun 1999 15:48:32 -0700
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
Cc:        Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>, mistwolf@ethereal.net, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A suggested kernel enhancement relating to kernel panics.

In message <19990617174029.B7287@dan.emsphone.com>, you wrote:

>In the last episode (Jun 17), Thomas David Rivers said:
>>
>> If you have the savecore file from the panic, I've done
>> this in the past:
>>
>> 	strings savecore.XX | grep "panic"
>>
>> usually the message pops right out :-)
>
>When savecore saves a core, it logs the panic string via syslog:
>
>    if (panicstr)
>        syslog(LOG_ALERT, "reboot after panic: %s", panic_mesg);
>    else
>        syslog(LOG_ALERT, "reboot");
>
>So it's in /var/log/messages too.

Well, I am getting sudden/unexpected reboots and this has happened several
times now.  Each time I look in /var/log/messages and there is NOTHING
there... just sendmail log entries, and other stuff that makes it clear
that the system was just going about its business normally, and then
WHAMO!  Out the clear blue, I see the standard set of message you get
as the system is actually coming back up _after_ a crash.

It is almost as if someone pressed the reset button, but I don't believe
that anybody is doing that.