Date:      Fri, 7 Sep 2001 21:40:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      parv <parv_@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/30430: package of mozilla fails if configured w/ --disable-mailnews

The following reply was made to PR ports/30430; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: parv <parv_@yahoo.com>
To: Pete Fritchman <petef@databits.net>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2001 00:33:19 -0400

 this was, on the fateful occasion around Sep 07 23:14 -0400,
 sent by Pete Fritchman

 > ++ 07/09/01 22:57 -0400 - parv_@yahoo.com:
 > | w/ default Makefile, package is made ok.
 > |
 > | package of mozilla fails if configured w/ --disable-mailnews instead of
 > | being enabled w/ this message (btw, install was okay)...
 >
 > Like you say, this probably happens with many many ports
 > (changing/adding a configure option and seeing `make package' fail).  In
 > most cases, it would be appropriate to add a WITHOUT_FOO hook in the
 > Makefile and use PLIST_SUB (if the WITHOUT_FOO hook is specified, expand
 > %%FOO%% to @comment, otherwise make it '').  Then just prefix everything
 > specific to 'FOO' with %%FOO%% in pkg-plist.

 thanks for the pointer, pete.

 > | don't know, but a general solution would be much appreaciated when
 > | the software (& related files) installed are not what "make
 > | package" would expect as it happens w/ almost every port.
 >
 > I don't think a 'general solution' would be possible (due to the variety
 > of configuration/installation methods by all 5800+ ports in the tree).

 i think you are considering changes in/to hardcoded lists of files; i was
 thinking that may be package target would get the installed files via
 pkg_info, or something similar, and then a package would be created
 from that output ... instead of a hardcoded list of files found in,
 say, pkg-plist.