Date:      Wed, 2 Oct 1996 20:06:32 +1000 (EST)
From:      Rowan Crowe <rowan@ozramp.net.au>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@spinner.DIALix.COM>
Cc:        David Greenman <dg@root.com>, bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Possible low level TCP bug

On Wed, 2 Oct 1996, Peter Wemm wrote:

> > >    What kind of ethernet card are you using? ...or is this with PPP or SLIP
>     ?

> > Don't laugh: I use 3c501 ethernet cards. The capture I sent to you was
> > carried over the ethernet from my FreeBSD box. However, I doubt that's
> > the problem, as I've observed inbound data (via serial/PPP) with this
> > same quirk.
>
> Hmm, I wonder if we're running into the (pre-pathmtu) 576 default tcp mss
> somewhere with the extra tcp headers?

Doubtful, the data in the packet was about 100 bytes, and the IP length is
only 140 bytes. Other packets with 500+ bytes of data go through fine,
most of the time. This quirk is only noticed *occasionally*. :-)

I will see if I can reproduce this with some other software, so far it's
been IRCII (client) and whatever aussie.oz.org uses (IRCD?). Perhaps
there's a shared library or common routine which is causing this problem.

Cheers.