Date:      Mon, 19 Apr 1999 18:47:22 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        mavery@mail.otherwhen.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD and memetics

Mike Avery has raised many good points here.

>If you compare OS's to religous movements (5), religous movements
>rarely rely on a single way of getting converts.  Even churches work
>hard and in varied ways to get visitors through the door, and to keep
>them in the fold after that.  Advertisements, special programs,
>personal testimony, booths at fairs, billboards, television programs,
>courting the news media for coverage all have their place.  And none
>of them are enough by themselves.  If we want to grow, are we doing
>enough?  As a newbie, I don't know, I just want to raise the question.

There are, indeed, many modes of advocacy, just as there are many
modes of advertising.

To understand why, it helps to see FreeBSD's situation from the
perspective of "memetics" -- a set of useful ideas based on
concepts from the fields of sociology, psychology, genetics, and
comparative religion.

Memes, to sum up the concept in a sentence, are mental constructs --
ideas or cultural elements -- which spread, compete, and evolve in a
manner akin to that of the DNA in genes or viruses. Religions, brand
loyalty, the "cultural" aspects of operating systems, multi-level
marketing schemes, and aphorisms may all be said to be memes. (For a
good introduction to the subject, see Richard Brodie's book "Virus of
the Mind," ISBN 0-9636001-1-7.)

The hardiest memes have more than one vector, just as the hardiest viruses
do. (The Melissa virus, the fastest-spreading virus in history, used
three vectors: e-mail to familiar correspondents, template infection,
and file infection.) In fact, they work best when they have multiple
propagation mechanisms with varying degrees of aggressiveness. Linux
has this characteristic: among the mechanisms by which it propagates
are the radical lunatic fringe (Richard Stallman), "pragmatic" advocates
(Eric Raymond), a cult hero (Linus Torvalds) who garners press attention
and general admiration, and corporate marketing (Red Hat Software and its
cluster of allies).

Some would say that Linux and FreeBSD are themselves memes, but to be
more precise, they are each surrounded by a cloud of them. The "culture"
of an OS, its user experience, its vocabulary, the consistent logic
of its commands and architecture (in the case of FreeBSD, shared by
all of the BSDs), its user community and the interactions within it,
and brand loyalty to it are all memes.

One of the reasons that Linux has done so well is that its memes
-- in some cases by design, in some cases by accident -- give it
some particularly adaptive traits. You might say it has "good memes"
in the same way you might say that an unusually healthy person has
"good genes." (1)

FreeBSD, on the other hand, lacks some of the "good memes" of Linux
and also has some maladaptive ones.

One of the things about memes is that, good or bad, people tend to
cling to them. We see this in the case of religion: humans will
continue to embrace religions such as the cults of Branch Davidianism,
Jim Jones, etc. even if it results in destruction.

FreeBSD, and some members of the FreeBSD project, appear to be
clinging to what I see as some maladaptive memes and resisting
change. (This is a natural tendency.) At the same time, I believe,
they are failing to develop for FreeBSD the new memes it needs to
compete in the "software ecosystem." Mike's message describes some
of these.

Mike also makes the point that my questioning of some of these
maladaptive memes has resulted in hostility from a few people.
This is often true of memes; they tend to manifest as "touchy
subjects." When a detached observer points out that someone's
irrational but deeply heartfelt loyalty to, say, a football team
or an odd religious concept (e.g. "Don't you think it's kind
of a bad idea to undergo castration and then take poison so your
soul can hitch a ride with aliens hiding behind a passing comet?"),
one is often greeted with hostility even if the comment makes
a great deal of sense. I think that this is what's happening
here. (2) Some people on the list have even gone as far as to
interpret these hostile RESPONSES to my messages as meaning that
I myself have been intentionally hostile, which I haven't. I'm
merely playing the part of the detached observer who, not having
that particular meme, can see from the outside that it is
maladaptive.

One FreeBSD meme that seems to be pervasive, especially in
FreeBSD's "inner circle," is a notion of "ownership" in proportion
to the extent of one technical contributions -- that is, a consensus
that one is not entitled to point out *any* of FreeBSD's memetic problems
unless one had authored or worked on some substantial portion of the code.
(I wonder if my attempts to contribute technically to FreeBSD were,
in fact, rebuffed because the incorporation of my code would, in
effect, grant me the "ownership" that was considered a
prerequisite to doing this.) It seems to me, however, that
a requirement that one make large technical contributions before
one could comment on memes related to advocacy is itself
a maladaptive meme. (FreeBSD's greatest memetic problems are
almost entirely orthogonal to technical issues.)

In any event, I didn't feel that it was a good idea to attempt to
contribute in a climate where my proposed contributions were greeted with
such intense hostility. So, I resigned from the advocacy list and committed
the time I had reserved for FreeBSD advocacy to other pursuits.

Now, again, on this list, I see similar hostility. But
since I *must* remain on the "chat" list in order to catch issues
which are important to me as a system administrator, I hope (as
Mike does) that we can avoid the name-calling and reframe the
discussion in a way that will be more productive.

Can we talk?

--Brett Glass

P.S. -- By the way, Mike made one minor factual mistake in his message.
I'm not an employee of InfoWorld, nor have I ever been one. I wrote a
very popular column as an independent contractor for the magazine for
8 years, after which time it was abruptly cancelled. Some say that it
was due to my published observations about Microsoft's behavior in
court. Others say that it had to do with a cultural change in InfoWorld;
that the magazine was moving toward appealing to the "pointy-haired boss"
and away from the people who actually did corporate IT. In any event,
I'm now writing for many other publications, including the ZDNet Help
Channel and BoardWatch.

(1) Some of Linux's memes, by the bye, were actually designed for a
different purpose that which they ultimately serve for Linux. For
example, the GPL was designed by Stallman not to make Linux popular but to
annihilate commercial software. However, the rhetoric associated with
it serves to attract those who are dissatisfied with Microsoft's
products and/or its dominance in the industry. The power of promising
a clear alternative to the growing disaffected class of Microsoft software
users cannot be underestimated.

(2) No, I'm not comparing the beliefs of any of the FreeBSD team to
this sort of whacko religious cult. However, I *am* making the point
that a perfectly innocent observation that seems like common sense to
the detached observer can be heresy to -- and thereby invoke an
extremely hostile response in -- someone who is "infected" by a
particular meme.