Date:      Thu, 21 Oct 1999 18:15:42 -0700
From:      Sanford Owings <sowings@cory.EECS.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        "Ho Seng Yip" <hsengyip@singnet.com.sg>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DNS Record

> I have two SMTP servers and will like to edit the DNS record for the domain
> such that if the first stmp server fails, the mail client should try the
> second one. I have such a record,
>
> smtp               8H IN CNAME     smtpserver1
>                         8H IN CNAME     smtpserver2
>
> When I try to ping smtp.mydomain.com, it gives me the IP address of the
> first domain and when I try to ping again, it gives me the IP address of the
> second domain.
>
> Is this how it should be done?

Nope.  You should be using "MX" or "Mail eXchanger" records.  This
type of record tells DNS "hey, send mail here."  You want your PRIMARY
mail server to have a low number, like 5, and your SECONDARY to have a
higher number, like 10 or 15.  You'll also have to be careful with the
setup of the second email server, depending on how your system is set
up.

From the DNS setup here:

Trying DNS
pasteur.EECS.Berkeley.EDU       preference = 5, mail exchanger = pasteur.EECS.Berkeley.EDU
pasteur.EECS.Berkeley.EDU       preference = 10, mail exchanger = torus.cs.berkeley.edu

I can also show you the specific entries in the DNS tables if you need
to see them.

--
Sanford Owings
EECS Instructional Group Staff