Date:      Tue, 12 Oct 2010 14:07:35 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@freebsd.org>, Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
Subject:   Re: Label question...why does ufs label vanish on mount?

> Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 14:09:07 -0600 (MDT)
> From: Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
>
> On Tue, 12 Oct 2010, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 11:51:00AM -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> >> For some reason the /dev/ufs/label entry that geom creates for every UFS
> >> formatted partition is deleted when the device is mounted.
>
> Not here.

Thanks! You have pointed me away from a bogus assumption that was held
over from V7. I have confirmed that, when a UFS device is mounted under
the /dev/ufs/label, the entry stays.

The problem is different on V8, but presents itself in the same way. The
problem is that every mount and umount of a UFS file system causes a
devd event for the CREATE of /dev/da0s2d. Never a DESTROY, but a CREATE
every time I either mount or umount the device. So the real issue is
"Why is there a devd CREATE whenever the device is mounted or unmounted
by the /dev/ufs entry. I just tried an msdosfs system and no create of
the hardware device.

So the real question is "Why is there a devd create for the hardware
device (e.g. /dev/da0s2d). I suspect this is related to the partition as
the slice is only created once. Still something's odd with UFS. Devices
should no be repeatedly created without ever being destroyed.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)