Date:      Wed, 4 Mar 2009 13:57:42 -0500
From:      David Horn <dhorn2000@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Proposal: Rework ipv6 rtsol initialization in rc.d

Proposal:   Rework ipv6 rtsol initialization in rc.d
Why:  on multihomed or transient (e.g. laptops) connections, ipv6
autoconfiguration can be slow, causing ipv6 initialization delays
while waiting for unsolicited router advertisements
What: add devd.conf entries, create /etc/rc.d/rtsol script (ala
dhclient script), modify network.subr, update man 5 rtsol

Discussion point:  There is a comment in network.subr, and in man 5
rtsol about multihomed connections not being appropriate for rtsol

I read through RFC 2461 and 2462, and while it does list multihomed
issues in appendix A of RFC 2461, it does not have any "MUST NOT" or
"SHOULD NOT" language around router solicitations with respect to
multihomed ipv6 systems.  (Someone, please correct me if I am wrong
here, or if there is some other RFC that applies)  The multihomed
issue is more around IPv6 autoconfiguration in general, not specific
to soliciting for a router.  Since FreeBSD already allows for IPv6
autoconfiguration on multihomed ipv6 systems (just without calling
rtsol on multiple interfaces), I would think that this is really a
non-issue for rtsol.

Comments ?   Please let me know if I am way off base here.

I will gladly submit a patch for review if no one has any objections
to multihomed ipv6 rtsol.

--Thanks!

---_Dave Horn

Non quia difficilia sunt non audemus, sed quia non audemus, difficilia sunt.