Date:      Sun, 10 Feb 2002 11:20:03 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Eric Theobald <eric_theobald@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.5 Installation Failure

Eric Theobald wrote:

 > I sent this message a couple of days ago with no response. I'm
 > really  hoping for some direction as I'm stuck right now in
 > getting FreeBSD  running. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 >

 > Thanks.

 > As a newbie, I've had the same experience as Soso and also am
 > hoping for direction on how to solve this. I did have FreeBSD 4.4
 >  installed without error so am not sure why 4.5 is different.
 >
 > The setup is: Machine: PII 100 Mhz, 1.2 Gig HD, 40 Mg RAM. I know
 > this is a low end machine but as I'm new to FreeBSD and am
 > interested in playing with ipFW & Apache this was a machine that
 > I could dedicate to FreeBSD.
 >
 > Install: Dedicated HD to FreeBSD and auto-defaults (128 Mg /, 65
 > Mg swap, 256 Mg VAR, 256 Mg tmp, 516 Mg USR). Installed X-User,
 > with default basic slection for XFree. The install recommended
 > installing Ports and said that it would burn 100 Mg so I did
 > select it.
 >
 > Error: /mnt/usr: create/symlink failed, no inodes free.
 >
 > How can I have burned 517 Mg in the USR space during the install?
 > Any suggestions would be appreciated.

My /usr/ports is much larger than 100 MB. What shows up with a du -h is

508M    ./distfiles
255M    ./packages
1.2G    .

Out of the 1.2GB, 763 MB has been generated. That still leaves 400+ MB
for ports and port-structures. When I finish building a port, I do a
make clean. Any files that you download will be in the distfiles. With
as little space as you have allocated, you will have to keep it
cleaned up.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart