Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2001 16:27:21 +1100
From:      Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   installing onto vinum

I'm in the process of setting up a number of FreeBSD boxes and I'd
like to have them all mirroring with vinum.

What I can't work out is how to get vinum up and running with my
mirrors for /var, /usr, etc. before I start installing packages.

I've tried using the 2nd CD and doing the fdisk and disklabel from
the command line, but while my fdisk seems to set the correct label
on the disks (as shown by disklabel -r), I can't get it to update
the "in core" data, which I think may then be upsetting vinum.
Perhaps I just haven't done things in the right order...

At the moment my best option seems to be to install on one disk,
and then work through the boot disks for the other systems by
installing them as a second disk, setting everything up and
installing packages on it, then putting it back in the box it
belongs to.

There must be a better way.  I hope.

Thanks,
Tony
--
Tony Landells					<ahl@austclear.com.au>
Senior Network Engineer				Ph:  +61 3 9677 9319