Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 2006 17:13:52 +0200
From:      ovidiu <ovidiue@unixware.ro>
To:        Mike Jeays <mj001@rogers.com>
Cc:        Luiz Eduardo Guida Valmont <legvalmont@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Martin Hepworth <maxsec@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Availability of a journaling file system

Mike Jeays wrote:

>On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 06:50 +0000, Martin Hepworth wrote:
>

>>Hi
>>
>>in freebsd this is called softupdates and can be enables using tunefs (see
>>the man page).
>>
>>If not quite journaling as it does things slightly differently, but achieves
>>many of the same effects, like reduced fsck time on boot.
>>
>>--
>>martin
>>
>>On 3/22/06, Luiz Eduardo Guida Valmont <legvalmont@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>I've had some problems earlier this year due to FreeBSD-6.0 crashing
>>>after a few hours of execution (perhaps it's mal-functioning hd's dma,
>>>but - simply put - I can't install FreeBSD 2 or 3 times a day to find
>>>out! ^^). And so I thought of journaling file systems.
>>>
>>>I think XFS is being ported to FreeBSD, but last news on the official
>>>page (http://people.freebsd.org/~rodrigc/xfs/) dates from December
>>>12th, 2005 (and it's still read-only). So...
>>>
>>>Is there a journaling file system (rw ready) available? Which one?
>>>
>>>Another question: how can I completly diable hd dma? -.-"
>>>
>>>--
>>>[]'s,
>>>Luiz Eduardo

>You can disable DMA with the atacontrol command: for example
>
>atacontrol mode ad0 pio4
>
>I have a Maxtor 40GB which won't work in DMA mode with FreeBSD, although
>it seems fine with other OSes.  There is a hefty perfomance hit, of
>course!

Did you tried with different ATA cable? I've solved this kind of issues
every time by changing the cable or by lower-ing the settings for ATA,
like instead of ATA133 to use ATA100, or ATA66.

#atacontrol list
#atacontrol mode ad0 ATA66

Try that, if it works, try ATA100.
Your hard drive, motherboard and your cable, all must be ATA100 to
support that speed.