Date:      Tue, 6 Jan 1998 18:44:11 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jim Bryant <jbryant@unix.tfs.net>
To:        osiris2002@yahoo.com (Charlie Roots)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Yesterday's CVSUP HATES mount_msdosfs ??

John Dysan fixed this last night, and you probably cvsupped too
early...  the changes didn't get committed until after midnight
CST...

In reply:
> Hi All SysAdmins, FreeBSD Developers,
>
> Yesterday's '6-jan-98' Kernel does not boot properly if I use an entry
> in /etc/fstab to mount and msdos file system, and enters 'kernel
> debug' mode.
>
> I had some difficult time to bootup the 'ONLY' machine I have again.
> What made it worse that I thought since make world and the new kernel
> compile went smoothly, I removed reduntant kernel.* backups (FATAL
> MISTAKE).
>
> The question, Is there a new change in mount_msdos code that is
> causing this, or should I mount VFAT (aka FAT32, WIN95) partitions
> using another 'unknown to me' command ?
>
> Or Am I doing anything else wrong.
>
> It worths mentioning that this disaster did not go unevetful, as fsck
> was saying it is removing some directories from the /usr/obj,
> /usr/gnats/..
>
> Fortunately I made some backups lately and can restore the /src, and
> other personal folders to the state before the event, one problem
> though, every thing is on the VFAT partition.
>
> Please consider helping me ASAP, should I CVSUP again today to
> correct, or restore the /usr/src to previous state and recompile the
> whole system, until the code stabilizes.
>
> I'll be online for the next couple of hours or so, so please send an
> answer, if any available so I can cleanly get away with the crash.
>
> More info about the problem:
>
> When I boot the kernel drops into kernel debug mode, and mentions an
> address where the trouble is, I don't know enough knowledge to give
> more info, but I panic out of kernel debug, reboot, and hit CTRL-C
> before the system tries to mount the dreaded msdos file system, then
> disable the /etc/fstab entry, reboot and everything is OK.
>
> Thanks, now I have a lost+found thing.

jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you    |  "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid  |  briefed, debriefed, indexed, or