Date:      Fri, 24 Apr 1998 12:01:23 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
To:        "Roger A. Lowe" <rlowepe@nwlink.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What are you?

------=_NextPart_000_0004_01BD6F67.0F73BDC0

On Fri, 24 Apr 1998, Roger A. Lowe wrote:

> You are a volunteer organization that is maintaining and developing a
> comprehensive form of Unix.  Am I right so far?

Yes - the FreeBSD group is a bunch of volunteers working to build a
stable, powerful 4.4 BSD based free operating system.

> Next, I gather that at least in your opinion,
> FreeBSD Unix is more stable, and more flexible than MSDOS, Windows etc.

Most definitely.  Huge web servers (like Yahoo!, the Internet Movie
Database, and Walnut Creek) use FreeBSD.  It's far more stable than
Windows.  Uptimes have been posted of more than a year wo/ rebooting.  My
work machine has been up 21 days wo/ rebooting, and I only rebooted then
after updating the operating system.

> Am I still on target?  Finally, am I to understand that FreeBSD is
> compatible with any intel cpu compatible computer, and with the existing
> internet, WWW or similar computer interconnectivity systems?

There are certain hardware limitations, although most things are
supported.  For instance, WinModems are NOT supported (due to a Windows
specific driver).

> Maybe we do not have to be dependent on Microsoft after all.

No, we sure don't!