Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 2000 08:33:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jaime <jaime@malkav.snowmoon.com>
To:        Terry Rossi <tpr@pics.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: URGENT HELP PLEASE Scripts No Longer Working

On Thu, 24 Aug 2000, Terry Rossi wrote:
> $ periodic
> [: not found
> usage: basename string [suffix]
> [: not found
> Subject: picspc01.pics.com  run output
>
> This is a /bin/sh script I have recomplied and made a new copy of sh but
> that didn't appear to correct the problem.  Any ideas on what could be wrong
> here would be appreciated.

	Start by looking through your /etc/periodic directory.  It looks
like someone might have added things to it.  Next up, if you had an
intrusion, I'd recommend that you rc -rf /usr/src and then CVSup a new
source code tree and recompile the OS.  This will get out things like back
doors in the login binary.  This assumes, of course, that you don't have
any highly customized source code.  :)  Then I'd suggest that you also
look in /var/db/pkg for what you have installed, pkg_delete everything and
reinstall it.  Again, this follows the idea that someone might have
slipped a back door into one of your binaries.  Also look at
/etc/inetd.conf and make sure that nothing is out of place.  While you're
in that file, turn off anything that isn't actively supported.  For
example, if you don't give your users shell access, turn off talk.

						Jaime