Date:      Tue, 3 Aug 1999 11:44:59 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joseph Thomas <jpt@networkcs.com>
To:        thierry.herbelot@alcatel.fr
Cc:        atm@freebsd.org, harp@magic.net
Subject:   Re: Set prefix ?

> Hello,
>
> Having made some progress toward the actual use of an ATM board with
> FreeBSD 3.2-R (I have now loaded the Fore microcode).
>
> I'm now playing with the atm(8) command and it seems there are some
> points missing :
> I don't see how the "set prefix" command works, as the corresponding
> ioctl does not exist in dev/hfa/fore_if.c
> (the same ioctl is used in ilmid - so it must work ?)
>
> 	TfH
>
> PS : config = Compaq P-III pc with a PCA200e Fore adapter (and a switch
> from Xylan/Alcatel)

	The "set prefix" is an ATM signalling property, not a physical
interface property per se. Thus, the quick answer is that the "set prefix"
is handled by the UNI signalling manager and that the code can be found in:
	/usr/src/sys/netatm/uni/unisig_if.c

	A more complete answer would be that ilmid opens a socket of type
AF_ATM which is a new protocol family implemented by the HARP ATM code.
Ioctl()'s issued on sockets of this type are handed off to the protocol
family's 'control' routine (atm_dgram_control()) in:
	 /usr/src/sys/netatm/atm_usrreq.c
Ilmid issues an AIOCSET ioctl() with a subcode of AIOCS_SET_PRF and the
name of the physical interface in a control block. Atm_usrreq.c looks up
the signalling manager attached to the named interface and calls the
signalling managers ioctl() routine. Looking through atm_usrreq.c you
will notice that some calls are never handed off (AIOCSET:AIOCS_SET_MAC),
some are handed off to the inferface (AIOCSET:AIOCS_SET_NIF - dev/hfa/fore_if.c
for example), and some are handed off to signalling managers
(AIOCS:AIOCS_SET_PRF).

	Hope this gives a quick overview of the IOCTL calls for HARP ATM.

Btw: I'd be interested in hearing about problems/successes you have working
with the Xylan/Alcatel switch. We use FORE and have heard for uses using
Cisco LightStream.

--
Joseph Thomas                           E/Mail:  jpt@networkcs.com
Network Computing Services, Inc.    	 	 jpt@magic.net

	An elephant is a mouse with an operating system.